Curious where your site's traffic is coming from or how people navigate around your site? To help monitor your site's traffic, you can add Google Analytics or Universal Analytics to your site.
To help you gain an even fuller understanding of how users are interacting with your online content, all new Google Analytics accounts are created with Universal Analytics. If you already have a Google Analytics account, you can upgrade to Universal Analytics from your original profile.
- If you have already signed up for Google Analytics or you have a Google Account (in other words, you use any other Google service, such as Google Sites), sign in to your account. If you do not have an account, go to the Google Analytics signup page, click Sign up, and follow the prompts to create a Universal Analytics account.
- We recommend you create a new Analytics account for each of your sites. On the "New Account" page, enter the following information:
- Account Name: Choose what you want to call this account.
- Website Name: Choose what you want to call the website you're tracking.
- Website URL: Enter the URL for the site you're tracking.
- If you've mapped your Google site to another web address, such as www.example.com, enter that address.
- If you haven't mapped your site to another web address, you need to enter your full site address, such as sites.google.com/site/example.
- Industry Category of the website and Reporting Time Zone.
- Also on the "New Account" page, check or uncheck the boxes below "Data Sharing Settings" based on your preferences.
- Click Get Tracking ID.
- Read the Google Analytics Terms of Service. If you agree with these, click I Accept.
If you want to link a new Universal Analytics account to a site that was already being tracked using Google Analytics, you'll have to upgrade your profile to Universal Analytics before following the steps above, and add in the new Universal Analytics Web Property ID.It can take up to 24 hours for Analytics to detect your tracking code. To check if your site is being tracked, sign in to Google Analytics, go to your profile screen and look at the Website Profile tracking status message next to the site.